There obviously many uses for iTouches for differentiated teaching in the classroom. Just take a at Google Earth and you'll be mesmerized for hours. You'll never want to look at a globe or a regular old map again! There are so many ways you are able to look at space, earth, water, and topography. I would love to have iTouches in my classroom. Especially the new ones that feature camera and video. So many tools wrapped into one little iTouch!
But then I remember all classrooms (just about) that I pass by - dusty, sad, boxy, bulky macs. No one ever turns them on or pays any attention to them. They're hooked up. They work just fine. Why doesn't anyone ever touch them? Truth be told, did I ever use my class iTouch more than once (which was mainly used for voice recording)?
The truth is, technology is changing every day. I bought my iPad only a 8 months ago. Now there is a 2nd generation iPad already! I can't keep up! And now it features camera on both sides! Oh, so many things it can do! Students are very aware of this, too. They know how old those class computers are. They're so old, they may not even know how to work it once logged on - or even worse, they get bored because this old computer doesn't hold a candle to their spiffy macbook at home. Plus, can we get enough iTouches in the classroom so that every student may use it at the same time?
I do think that there should be uses for technology in the classroom. We can skype with other classrooms across the nation, take a field trip to the national library, or make a glogster to present our science experiments. Old or new, technology has a place in the classroom. We just have to use them! My district doesn't allow guest wi-fi, so I was unable to use my iTouch in the classroom, but there's no reason why other teachers shouldn't take advantage of technology and all its possibilities. Students won't even care that the iTouches are older generations or that the computer isn't sleek and skinny. If it works just fine, and they are used regularly, it will have a very positive impact in the classroom for student learning.
But then I remember all classrooms (just about) that I pass by - dusty, sad, boxy, bulky macs. No one ever turns them on or pays any attention to them. They're hooked up. They work just fine. Why doesn't anyone ever touch them? Truth be told, did I ever use my class iTouch more than once (which was mainly used for voice recording)?
The truth is, technology is changing every day. I bought my iPad only a 8 months ago. Now there is a 2nd generation iPad already! I can't keep up! And now it features camera on both sides! Oh, so many things it can do! Students are very aware of this, too. They know how old those class computers are. They're so old, they may not even know how to work it once logged on - or even worse, they get bored because this old computer doesn't hold a candle to their spiffy macbook at home. Plus, can we get enough iTouches in the classroom so that every student may use it at the same time?
I do think that there should be uses for technology in the classroom. We can skype with other classrooms across the nation, take a field trip to the national library, or make a glogster to present our science experiments. Old or new, technology has a place in the classroom. We just have to use them! My district doesn't allow guest wi-fi, so I was unable to use my iTouch in the classroom, but there's no reason why other teachers shouldn't take advantage of technology and all its possibilities. Students won't even care that the iTouches are older generations or that the computer isn't sleek and skinny. If it works just fine, and they are used regularly, it will have a very positive impact in the classroom for student learning.
Some of the very best learning with tech that I've seen in a classroom is in a Title 1 school where the teacher rescued very old computers that were going to be pitched. I'm really curious about why we'd talk about it becoming a problem there is a new model, rather than really digging in to see what one can do.
ReplyDeleteAre you saying that the teachers are really finding good ways to use those dusty macs but the kids won't use them because they're old? In the end you seem not to be saying this... so?
Even if you couldn't hand the TOuch to children I'm curious about how you explored the potential for differentiation.
I think that a point that I'd like to nudge you toward is that now, what happens on a computer isn't on the machine at all and is on the web ...
And handhelds take things even further. As things to get updated out in the tech world, these things automatically allow you to install new operating systems and new features.... much much more easy to keep up to date than old models of computers are.
The bottom line though is that none of this is really ultimately about the equipment -- it's about teachers imagining learning in different ways and finding ways to creatively give kids access to learning tools beyond the teachers' voice box :)
Kame