I did have strong feelings about how that math session went -- the anxiety of being called upon, not having enough time to think a problem through, pretending to understand a problem for the sake of time or to save face. But after observing my main placement's math sessions, I wish they did math differently (like the kind of sessions that I had once disapproved of). This is what I witness every day: a direct instruction from the teacher, the students working on their own white boards, the students instructed to work on practice sheets on their own. I am pretty excited to try out this method that I've felt so uneasy about! I want to put these kids into small groups so that they can talk to each other and support each other! For the past few months, the kids have not been good friends to each other. They hardly ever get a chance to be in groups in anything together during class. I am interested to see if this beginning of splitting them into groups will help their relationships with each other. If they can be put into groups for math, they can make sure each member understands the math problem (if they are unexpectedly called upon). They are also responsible for supporting each team member if/when a member is called upon. I am very glad I am opening up my mind to this method of teaching. For this class, I think they would really benefit from working together.
No comments:
Post a Comment