Sunday, January 30, 2011

Mira! Mira!

Look!  What a fascinating tool!  After discovering that this math tool has been around for decades, I've wondered if I would have looked at math differently when i was in elementary and junior high school.  I'm pretty sure I would have loved it!  Math was always so boring and mundane.  It wasn't until geometry that I (somewhat) enjoyed math.  Before learning rules and theories, we found evidence with our rulers and protractors.  All other math classes, math was just about memorizing formulas and plugging in numbers.  School is all about experiencing, discovering, and learning.  Tools like the mira make learning fun and interesting.  It's a little sad that there are so many math tools and manipulatives for students, but they are seldom used or seen.

It is difficult, though, when you are a realistic teacher, with a realistic budget, with a realistic time line, and with an instructor's math guide with play-by-play steps.  As a first year teacher, I am almost positive that I will do everything by the book.  I just hope that I don't get used to or comfortable with that routine.

No comments:

Post a Comment