As I am counting the days to my first observed lesson (a math lesson), I am aware that I need to ask the right questions to engage my students, keep them interested, and help them to successfully organize their thoughts. I never realized how much energy and thought goes into asking the right kind of questions. The article, Never Say Anything a Kid Can Say! gives a plan to use specific questioning techniques when teaching math.
Of course, one of the techniques that I like is "Never say anything a kid can say." I see that this goal sounds simple, but my master teacher hardly ever does this in her class. It is very hard to find patience and time to let the students do all the thinking and questioning. Especially when you are a few lessons behind or trying to finish up the lesson before transitioning to another subject.
I have tried this technique as I'm walking around the room while observing, though. I really see how taking ownership in their own thought process, rather than listening to the teacher explain how to fix this and that, is more beneficial and rewarding for both teacher and students.
Of course, one of the techniques that I like is "Never say anything a kid can say." I see that this goal sounds simple, but my master teacher hardly ever does this in her class. It is very hard to find patience and time to let the students do all the thinking and questioning. Especially when you are a few lessons behind or trying to finish up the lesson before transitioning to another subject.
I have tried this technique as I'm walking around the room while observing, though. I really see how taking ownership in their own thought process, rather than listening to the teacher explain how to fix this and that, is more beneficial and rewarding for both teacher and students.
No comments:
Post a Comment