Sunday, January 30, 2011

To group or not to group

After observing my classroom in math, I notice that the teacher never groups the kids together.  I believe the reason for not putting the kids into groups is because the kids are chatty and get distracted easily.  The para educator agreed with me in this observation.  This worries me because after all our discussions and practices in our math course, I may not be able to implement it in my practicum.

Having the kids work in groups is something I really want to try, though, even if their teacher doesn't believe it will work out, at least for this group of kids that do not support each other (constantly tattletales on each other) and do not play with each other during recess.  They do not work as a team in anything they do.  I feel as if they start working together, and the teacher has made it clear that they are partners (as in sports, where teammates work together to win), they can teach each other about math strategies.  Instead of me doing all the teaching, and risking some kids tuning out, the kids could enforce what I've taught by teaching themselves and discussing their strategies.

No comments:

Post a Comment